We serve the residents and property owners of Clinton County, Michigan. Our mission is to provide information and technical assistance for Clinton County citizens to better understand, plan, manage, protect, and use natural resources.
The Clinton Conservation District is a local unit of government established in 1954 to carry out programs for conservation– the wise use of natural resources for current and future generations. The guiding philosophy is that decisions on conservation issues should be made at the local level, by local people, with technical assistance provided by government.
Who We Are
The Clinton Conservation District has five Directors who are elected at the District’s annual meeting. Terms of office are four years. The Directors elect a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and Treasurer from among their members.
Regular meetings of the Board of Directors are generally on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 8:30 am at the Clinton Conservation District Office. All meetings of the Board of Directors are open to the public.
Members of the Board of Directors may be contacted through the Clinton Conservation District Office by calling (989) 224-3720 x3, or via email.
As locally elected public officials, the directors are responsible for the operation and management of the conservation district. They develop policy, which is carried out by employees and resource personnel available to the district.
An Executive Director is appointed by the Board of Directors. He or she executes the plan of work approved by the Board of Directors, provides service to the public, implements programs, and seeks funding opportunities.
To be a candidate for the Board of Directors, a person must be a resident of Clinton County, Michigan, eighteen years of age or older, eligible to vote, and must file a petition with the Clinton Conservation District Office no later than 60 days prior to the election. Elections are held at the end of March. Petition forms are available from the District Office.
Conservationist of the Year Awards:
Each year, the Clinton Conservation District recognizes a person, group of people or organization for their conservation efforts in Clinton County. Originally, these awards were to the conservation farmer of the year. Recent awards have included awards for people focusing on watershed conservation efforts.
As a result of the nation wide concern over soil erosion growing out of the dust bowl in the 1920’s the District Enabling Act of 1937 was born. The Act allowed the creation of local Soil Conservation Districts within Michigan. This created a system that allowed local citizens to address resource concerns by working closely with the local landowner.
Over the years the conservation districts have championed the installation of conservation practices on the land. This includes assistance in such fields of study as Agronomy, Forestry, Animal Husbandry, Agriculture and Recreation. Local Conservation Districts have provided many different types of equipment to landowners including muck plows, tree planters, terracing machines, no-till planters, and seed drills.
August 12, 1954, in response to soil conservation concerns, agricultural leaders and other landholders of Clinton County created the Clinton Conservation District through county referendum. The Clinton Conservation District was the 72nd District in Michigan. Forming the District enabled the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to provide a technical agent to assist private landowners in solving conservation problems.
The Clinton District has developed a unique ability to bring together resources to solve problems. Recently, we have partnered with Pheasant Forever, Ducks Unlimited, Wild Turkey Federation, County Drain Commissioner, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), Michigan Department of Agriculture (MDA), and the USDA-Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS).
Conservation Districts in Michigan were created under provisions of State Law, Public Act 297 of 1937, which was made part of the State of Michigan Compiled Environmental Code and is now MCL 324.9301-9313. Districts are independent units of government with elected Boards of Directors.
The Clinton Conservation District has four primary sources of funding. The District currently holds grants from the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy.
The second primary source of funding is through Clinton County which is allocated annually by the County Commissioners.
The District also earns a substantial portion of its revenues through its Spring and Fall Tree Sales.
The final primary source of support is the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). The NRCS provides in-kind services such as use of office space and funding for specific projects to enhance agricultural conservation in Clinton County.
Other grants at times supplement these funding sources. The annual report summarizes the previous fiscal year’s revenues and expenses.