The Clinton Conservation District is a local unit of government established in 1954 to carry out programs for conservation– the wise use of natural resources for current and future generations. The guiding philosophy is that decisions on conservation issues should be made at the local level, by local people, with technical assistance provided by government.
The District partners with the US Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) and other agencies and organizations. Historically, the District focused on soil erosion on farms. With time, that scope has broadened. Today, the District provides technical assistance, information, and education to assist people in the District to properly manage their natural resources. Agricultural producers remain the primary focus, but services are also provided to owners of smaller rural properties, suburban and urban properties, as well as local governments.
- The Clinton Conservation District has four major programs.
- The Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP)
- Groundwater Stewardship Program
- The semi-annual tree sales
In addition, programs through the USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and Farm Services Agency (FSA) require concurrence by the Conservation District before payments may be made. These programs include the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), Wetland Reserve Program (WRP), Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) and Continuous Conservation Reserve Program (CCRP).